An Overview on Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System: Current Approaches and Advancements
Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System (GRDDS) can elevate the controlled delivery of drugs that have an absorption window by continuously releasing the drug for a constant period of time before it extends its absorption site. This includes floating system, dilation and expanding system, muco - adhesive system, high density system and other postponed gastric emptying devices. The present article briefly about the formulation consideration for GRDDS, factors controlling gastric retention time, advantages, disadvantages and evaluation of GRDDS.
2. Nayak AK, Maji R, Das B. Gastroretentive drug delivery system: A review. Asian J of Pharmaceutical and clinical research. 2010.
3. Sharma D, Sharma A. Gastroretentive Drug Delivery System - a mini review. Asian pacific J of Health Sciences. 2014; 1(2): 80-89.
4. Robinson J, Lee R. Controlled Drug Delivery, 2nd edition. (1987) 418.
5. Badoni A, Ojha A, Gnanarajan G, Kothiyal IP. Review on Gastro Retentive Drug Delivery System. The Pharma Innovation Online IC J. 2012; 1 (8): 77-25.
6. Bardonnet PL, Faivre V, Pugh WJ, Piffaretti JC, Falson F. Gastroretentive dosage forms. J of Controlled Release. 2006; 11(1):1-18.
7. Arora S, Javed A, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floating Drug Delivery System: A Review. AAPS Pharm Sci Tech. 2000; 6(3):372-390.
8. Streubel A, Siepmann J, Bodmeier R. Drug delivery to the upper small intestine window using Gastroretentive technologies. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2006; 6: 501-508.
9. Deshpande AA, Shah N, Rhodes CT, Malik W. Devlopment of a novel controlled-release system for gastric retention. Pharm Research. 1997; 14: 815-819.
10. Clarke GM, Newton JM, Short MD. Comparative Gastrointestinal Transit of Pellet Systems of Varying Density. Inter J Pharm. 1995; 1-11.
11. Whiteland L, Fell JT, Collett JH. Development of gastroretentive dosage form. European J Pharm Science. 1996; 4(suppl.): S182.
12. Patel GM, Patel HR, Patel M. Floating drug delivery system an innovative approach to prolong gastric retention. Pharma info.net 2007.
13. Klusner EA, Eyal S, Lavy E, Friedman M, Hoffman A. Novel levodopa gasrtroretentive dosage form: in vivo evaluation in dogs. J Control Release. 2003; 88: 117-26.
14. Hoffman A. Pharmacodynamic aspects of sustained release preparation. Adv Drug Delivery Rev. 1998; 33: 185-99.
15. Jassal M, Nautiyal U, Kundlas J, Singh D. A review: gastroretentive drug delivery system (grdds). Indian J pharm biological research. 2015; 3(1):82-92.
16. Singh B and Kim KH. Floating drug delivery system: an approach to oral controlled drug delivery system via Gastric Retention. J of Controlled Release. 2000; 63:235-259.
17. Faivre V, Falson-Rieg V, Pirot F. Aspects theoriques de la bioadhesion. In: Nonvelles forms medicamenteuses. Medicales Internationales, Editions TEC and DOC, Cachan. 2004; pg. 1-24.
18. Huang Y, Leobandung W, Foss A, Peppas NA. Molecular aspects of muco- and bioadhesion: tethered structures and site-specific surfaces. J Control Release. 2000; 65(1-2): 63-71.
19. Caldwell LJ, Gardner CR, Cargill RC. Drug delivery device which can be retained in the stomach for controlled period of time. US Patent 473 5804. April 5, 1988.
20. Sungthongjeen S, Paeratakul O, Limmatvapirat S, Puttipupathachorn S. Preparation and in-vitro evaluation of multiple-unit floating drug delivery system based on gas formation technique. Inter J Pharm. 2006; 324: 136-43.
21. Khosla R, Feely LC, Davis SS. Gastrointestinal transit of non-disintegrating tablets in fed subjects. Int J Pharm. 1989; 53: 107-17.
22. Mojaverian P, Vlasses PH, Kellner PE, RocciJr ML. Effects of gender, posture and age on gastric residence time of an indigestible solid: Pharmaceutical considerations. Pharm Res. 1988; 10: 639-44.
23. Klusner EA, Lavy E, Friedman M, Hoffman A. Expandable gasrtroretentive dosage forms. J Control Release. 2003; 90 (2): 143-62.
24. Garg R, Gupta GD. Progress in controlled gastroretentive delivery systems. Trop. J Pharm Res. 2008; 7(3): 1055-66.
25. Talukdar R, Fassihi R. Gastroretentive delivery systems: hollow beads. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2004; 30: 405-12.
26. Vyas SP, Khar RK. Gastroretentive systems. In: Controlled drug Delivery. Vallabh Prakashan, Delhi, India. (2006) 197-217.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.