A Study of Sociodemographic Profile, Awareness and Knowledge about Tuberculosis in Patients of Tuberculosis at Dots Centre
Introduction: Tuberculosis (TB) is an infectious disease caused by Mycobacterium Tuberculosis, is the second leading infectious cause of death in world. The study was carried out in the DOTS centre in Coimbatore region.Material and Methods: It was a cross – sectional observational, descriptive epidemiological study. This study was a humble effort to throw light on sociodemographic profile, knowledge and awareness regarding TB among patients with TB. Results and Discussion: A total of 300 patients were included in the study. Majority of the cases (31.66%) belongs to the age groups of 21-40 years. Out of 300 patients, 223 (74.33%) of patients had aware on the aetiology of tuberculosis. Most of the patients 210 (70.00%) were aware of fact that Tuberculosis could be transmitted from one person to another person via coughing and close contact. About 196 (65.33%) of patients had the knowledge about the importance of BCG vaccine for Tuberculosis. Conclusion: Apart from pharmacological treatment, poor knowledge of TB among patients on TB also needs great attention.
2. TB Facts.org. Information about Tuberculosis. TB Statistics for INDIA: TB Facts under RNTCP. Available at: http://www.tbfacts. Org/tb-statistics-india.html (last accessed on April 4,
3. Vidhani M, Vadgama P. A study among patient taking treatment of TB in rural area of Surat in Gujarat. Natl J Med Res 2012; 2(4):452–55.
4. Chinnakali P, Ramakrishnan J, Vasudevan K, Gurumurthy J, Upadhyay RP, Panigrahi KC. Level of awareness about TB in urban slums: implications for advocacy and communication
strategy planning in the National Program. Lung India 2013; 30(2):139–42.
5. Matta S, Singh D, Bhala S, Rasania S, Singh S, Sachdev TR. A study on knowledge and family attitude of patient`s regarding pulmonary TB attending the DOTS center of Safdarjung
hospital of New Delhi. Indian J Prev Soc Med 2005; 36:16–20
6. IEC Baseline Survey: Central TB Division, 2007. Report Compilation. New Delhi: New Concept Information Systems.
7. Ehtisham A, Khalil S, et al., A study of Knowledge and Awareness regarding Pulmonary tuberculosis in patients under treatment for Tuberculosis in a rural area of Aligarh – UP,1-10