Simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of diazepam and propranolol hydrochloride in tablets
The present manuscript describe simple, sensitive, rapid, accurate, precise and economical Qabsorbanceratio method for the simultaneous determination of diazepam and propranololhydrochloride in combined tablet dosage form. Absorbance ratio method uses the ratio ofabsorbances at two selected wavelengths, one which is an isoabsorptive point and other being the _-max of one of the two components. Diazepam and propranolol hydrochloride show anisoabsorptive point at 235 nm in 0.05 M methanolic sulphuric acid. The second wavelength usedis 215 nm, which is the _-max of propranolol hydrochloride in 0.05 M methanolic sulphuric acid.The linearity was obtained in the concentration range of 1-20 μg/ml for both diazepam andpropranolol hydrochloride. The concentrations of the drugs were determined by using ratio ofabsorbances at isoabsorptive point and at the _-max of propranolol hydrochloride. The methodwas successfully applied to pharmaceutical dosage form because no interference from the tabletexcipients was found. The results of analysis have been validated statistically and by recoverystudies.
2. Sweetman SC. The Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. 35th ed. Pharmaceutical Press, London, UK (2007) 884.
3. The Indian Pharmacopoeia, Vol. II, Controller of Publications, Government of India, Delhi (2010) 1194.
4. British Pharmacopoeia, Vol. I, Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, Stationary Office, London (2010) 663.
5. The United States Pharmacopoeia, USP 32, NF 27, Vol. 2, The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Inc, Rockville, MD (2009) 2113.
6. Liawruangrath S, Makchit J, Liawruangrath B. A simple flow injection spectrophotometric procedure for the determination of diazepam in pharmaceutical formulation. Anal Sci. 2006; 22: 127-130.
7. El-Hawary WF, Issa YM, Talat A. Spectrophotometric determination of diazepam in pure form, tablets and ampoules. Int J Biomed Sci. 2007; 3: 50- 55.
8. Sadeghi S, Takjoo R, Haghgoo S. Quantitative determination of diazepam in pharmaceutical preparation by using a new extractive-spectrophotometric method. Anal Let. 2002; 35: 2119-2131. 9. Salem AA, Barsoum BN, Izake EL. Spectrophotometric and fluorimetric determination of diazepam, bromazepam and clonazepam in pharmaceutical and urine samples. Spectrochimica Acta A Mol Biomol Spectro. 2004; 60: 771-780.
10. Salem AA, Barsoum BN, Izake EL. Spectrophotometric and fluorimetric determination of diazepam, bromazepam and clonazepam in pharmaceutical and urine samples. Spectrochimica Acta A Mol Biomol Spectro. 2004; 60: 771-780.
11. Abu-Qare AW, Abou-Donia MB. Chromatographic method for the determination of diazepam, pyridostigmine bromide, and their metabolites in rat plasma and urine. J Chromatogr B Biomed Sci Appl. 2001; 754: 503-509.
12. Abdel-Hamid ME, Abuirjeie MA. Determination of diazepam and oxazepam using high-performance liquid chromatography and fourth-derivative spectrophotometric techniques. Analyst. 1988; 113: 1443-1446.
13. Machale VP, Gatade AT, Sane RT. Validated HPTLC content uniformity test for the determination of diazepam in tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Res Dev. 2011; 3: 34-41.
14. Mali BD, Rathod DS, Garad MV. Thin-layer chromatographic determination of diazepam, phenobarbitone, and saccharin in toddy samples. J Planner Chromatogr Modern TLC. 2005; 18: 330-332.
15. Umezawa H, Lee XP, Arima Y, Hasegawa C, Marumo A, Kumazawa T, Sato K. Determination of diazepam and its metabolites in human urine by liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry using a hydrophilic polymer column. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2008; 15: 2333-2341.
16. Dixon R, Crews T. Diazepam: Determination in micro samples of blood, plasma, and saliva by radioimmunoassay. J Anal Toxicol. 1978; 2: 210-213.
17. Maryadele J O’ Neil. The Merck Index: An Encyclopedia of chemicals, drugs and biologicals. 14th ed. Merck and Co., Inc, Whitehouse station, New Jersey (2006) 1348.
18. Sweetman SC. The Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference. 35th ed. Pharmaceutical Press, London, UK (2007) 1241.
19. The Indian Pharmacopoeia, Vol. III, Controller of Publications, Government of India, Delhi (2010) 1987.
20. British Pharmacopoeia, Vol. II, Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency, Stationary Office, London (2010) 1787.
21. The United States Pharmacopoeia, USP 32, NF 27, Vol. 3, The United States Pharmacopoeial Convention, Inc, Rockville, MD (2009) 3425.
22. Gowada BG, Seetharamappa J, Melwanki MB. Indirect spectrophotometric determination of propranolol hydrochloride and piroxicam in pure and pharmaceutical formulations. Anal Sci. 2002; 6: 671-674.
23. El-Didamony AM. A sensitive spectrophotometric method for the determination of propranolol HCl based on oxidation bromination reactions. Drug Testing Anal. 2010; 2: 122-129.
24. Sajjan AG, Seetharamappa J, Masti SP. Spectrophotometric determination of propranolol hydrochloride in pharmaceutical preparations. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2002; 64: 68-70.
25. Ramesh KC, Gowda BG, Seetharamappa J, Keshavayya J. Indirect Spectrofluorimetric Determination of Piroxicam and Propranolol Hydrochloride in Bulk and Pharmaceutical Preparations. J Anal Chem. 2002; 58: 933-936.
26. Olsen CS, Scroggin HS. Liquid chromatographic determination of propranolol hydrochloride in various dosage forms. J Assoc Off Anal Chem. 1988; 71: 761-763.
27. Jonczyk A, Nowakowska Z. Determination of hydrochlorothiazide, triamterene and propranolol hydrochloride by the spectrophotometric method and high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Acta Pol Pharm. 2001; 58: 339-344.
28. Rao ZM, Wu QL, Xie GP, Xu HH, Zhang XQ. Determination of propranolol hydrochloride by flow injection chemiluminescence. Fenxi Huaxue. 2004; 32: 1660-1662.
29. Jain S, Tiwari M, Chaturvedi SC. Propranolol hydrochloride-diazepam: simultaneous estimation by spectrophotometric method. Indian Drugs. 1998; 35: 696-699.
30. The International Conference on Harmonization, Q2 (R1), Validation of Analytical Procedure: Text and Methodology, 2005.