Formulation, Characterization and Evaluation of Liposomal Hydrogel for the Treatment of Antibiotic Resistant Propionibacterium Acne
This work aimed to prepare and evaluate the topical liposomal hydrogel to treat antibiotic-resistant propionic bacterium acne. Nadifloxacin-loaded liposomes were prepared by thin-film hydration technique. Nadifloxacin, soya lecithin, cholesterol were dissolved in a mixture of chloroform and taken in different levels, and liposomes were prepared. The prepared liposomes were evaluated for in-vitro drug release. Formulation F2 was the highest percentage entrapment of 71±1.50% and released 58.12±1.2% of the drug in 6hrs. Minocycline hydrochloride-based hydrogel was prepared using the methylcellulose gelling agent, and the drug concentration was kept constant at 0.25%. The concentration of propylene glycol and methylparaben was kept constant at 15% and 0.3%. The hydrogel formulation was evaluated for various physicochemical parameters like percentage drug content, spreadability, and drug release. Formulation H9 was the highest drug content, 98.23 ± 0.031%, and the drug released 90.96±2.6% of the drug in 6hr. Out of these formulations, F2 from liposomes and H9 from hydrogel formula was selected to prepare the final liposomal hydrogel formulation. Developed liposomal hydrogel(F2H9) were evaluated like size, drug content and drug entrapment spreadability, homogeneity, washability, pH, etc. In-vitro drug release from liposomal hydrogel in Nadifloxacin release 54.86±3.1% and Minocycline hydrochloride 91.24±1.82% in 6hr. Developed liposomal hydrogel formulation can better treat acne due to high drug retention and permeation in skin layers.
2. Chanda R, Poornima T, Vikas S. Acne and its treatment lines. Int J of Res in Pharma and Biosci. 2013; 1: 1-16.
3. Sanjay KR. Acne vulguris treatment: The current scenario. Indian J of Dermatology. 2011; 1: 7-13.
4. Parashar AK, Singh G. Synthesis and characterization of ligand anchored poly propyl eneimine dendrimers
for the treatment of brain glioma. Jou. of Med. P’ceutical & Allied Sci. 2021; 10-I 3: 2784- 2789.
5. Rathore R, Gupta AK, Parashar AK. Formulation and Evaluation of fast dissolving films of Granisetron
Hydrochloride. J Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019; 9(2-A): 36-38.
6. Parashar AK, Kurmi B, Patel P. Preparation and characterization of ligand anchored polymeric nanoparticles
for the treatment of epilepsy. Pharmaspire. 2021;13(1):1
7. Vyas KL, Tapar KK, Nema RK, Parashar AK. Development and characterization of topical liposomal gel
formulation for anti-cellulite activity. Int J Pharm & Pharm Sci. 2013; 5(3): 512-516.
8. ShaileshT, Parthasarthi KK, Devegowda VG. Liposomal Hydrogels: A novel drug delivery systems for wound
dressing. Curr drug therapy. 2012; 7: 212-218.
9. Kawabata S, Ohguro K, Mukai F. Bacteriological evaluation of a new pyridone carboxylic acid antimicrobial
agent. Chemotherapy. 1989; 37: 1160–1178.
10. Parashar AK, Nema RK. A Review on novel techniques for drug delivery to the brain. Curr Res Pharm Sci.
11. Parashar AK, Gupta AK, Jain NK. Synthesis and characterization of Agiopep-2 anchored PEGylated poly
propyleneimine dendrimers for targeted drug delivery to multiforme. J Drug Del Therap. 2019; 8(6-A): 74-79.
12. Alba V, Urban E, Angeles Dominguez M. In vitro activity of nadiﬂoxacin against several Gram-positive
bacteria and analysis of the possible evolution of resistance. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 2009; 33: 272–275.
13. Parashar AK, Singh G. Synthesis and characterization of temozolomide loaded theranostic quantum dots for
the treatment of brain glioma. Jou of Med P’ceutical & Allied Sci. 2021; 10-I 3: 2778- 2783.
14. Redin GS. Antibacterial activity in mice of minocycline, a new tetracycline. Antimicrobial Agents and
Chemotherapy. 1966; 6: 371.
15. Strauss. Guidelines of care for acne vulgaris management. J of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2007; 4: 651–663.
16. Parashar AK, Patel P, Gupta A, Jain N, Kurmi B. Synthesis Characterization and in vivo Evaluation of PEGylated
PPI Dendrimer for Safe and Prolonged Delivery of Insulin. Drug Del Letters. 2019; 9: 248-63.
17. Kircik LH. Doxycycline and minocycline for the management of acne: a review of efficacy and safety with
emphasis on clinical implications. J Drugs Dermatol. 2010; 11: 1407–11.
18. Aharshikha S, Manicharan T, RajeshR D. Enhanced dermal delivery of nadifloxacin using liposomes. Int J App
Pharma. 2016; 8: 53- 59.
19. Parashar AK, Kakde D, Chadhar V, Devaliya R, Shrivastav V, Jain UK. A review on solid lipid nanoparticles
(SLN) for controlled and targeted delivery of medicinal agents. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2011; 1(2): 37-47.
20. Deevan P, Vothani SB. Formulation and evaluation of liposomal gel containing antifungal activity–
Ketoconazole. Indo American Jof Pharma Res. 2016; 6: 6154-6170.
21. Sunil Y, Mahesh KK, Ajay B. Formulation and evaluation of liposomal of ketoconazole. Eur J of Pharm and
Medical Res. 2015; 2: 604-622.
22. Parashar AK, Nema RK. Preparation and Characterization of Polymeric Nanoparticles for Sustained Delivery
of Insulin. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 153-159.
23. Chadhar V, Parashar AK, Patel M, Nema RK. Development and characterization of tetanus toxoid loaded
trimethylchitosan chloride nanoparticles for nasal immunization. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 2(4): 197-202.
24. Majumdar AJ, Parashar AK, Jain NK. Ultrathin multi-layered nanocapsules of aminoglycoside for topical drug delivery. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 2(3): 171-176.
25. Kakde D, Parashar AK, Mahor A, Kakde R, Patil A, Tukdojimaharaj R. Polyethylene glycol (PEG) supported
amino dendrimers (dendritic triblock copolymer) for delivery of methotrexate (MTX). Int J Pharm Sci Res.
2011; 2(11): 3033-3038.
26. Kakde D, Parashar A, Chadhar V, Kakde R, Patil AT. Development of chitosan–poly (acrylic Acid) Nanoparticles for Delivery of 5-Fluorouracil. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2011; 1(2): 92-95.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.