Formulation and Evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of Lansoprazole by Solubility Enhancement Technique
The present study was focused on preparation and evaluation of Lanzoprazole fast dissolving tablets. Lansoprazole (LAN) is a proton pump inhibitor drug and used for the treatment of gastric ulcer. Lansoprazole is acid labile drug and to avoid the acidic pH of the stomach LAN is formulated as oral fast dissolving tablets. Lansoprazole is the class II drug of the BCS classification and has a low aqueous solubility. Hence, to improve the solubility of the drug we have prepared Lansoprazole solid dispersion with poly ethylene glycol and complex with β cyclodextrin. Fast Dissolving tablets of LAN were formulated using different superdisintegrants like Sodium Starch Glycolate, Cross Povidone, Cross Carmellose Sodium by direct compression method. The prepared fast dissolving tablets were evaluated for various parameters like weight variation, hardness, friability, disintegration time, drug content, wetting time, in-vitro drug release and short term stability studies. Percentage weight variation, hardness, friability and drug content uniformity were found to be within the approved range for all the formulations. The in-vitro release studies showed that 99.6% of LAN within 90 sec. Overall, in the formulations prepared by the direct compression method, F3, which contains 6% CCS as super disintegrants release 99% of (LAN) in 2 min was found to be the best formulation. The results concluded that fast dissolving tablets of LAN showing enhanced dissolution might lead to improved bioavailability and effective therapy for gastric ulcer.
2. Rathore R, Gupta AK, Parashar AK. Formulation and Evaluation of fast dissolving films of Granisetron Hydrochloride. J Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019; 9(2-A): 36-38.
3. Bandigari V, Thadkala K, Devara RK, Aukunuru J. Preparation and Evaluation of Orodispersable Tablets of Carbamazepine using Different Superdisintegrating Agents. Int. J. PharmTech Res. 2015;
4. Chauhan V, Kumar K, Teotia D. Fast dissolving tablets: A promising approach for drug delivery. Univ J Pharm Res. 2017; 58-64.
5. Parashar AK, Kakde D, Chadhar V, Devaliya R, Shrivastav V, Jain UK. A review on solid lipid nanoparticles (SLN) for controlled and targeted delivery of medicinal agents. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2011;
6. Chinthapalli GS, Umasankar D, Pitta L, Madhuri T and Thadanki M. Formulation development and optimization of zolmitriptan tablets by direct compression method. Indian J. Med. Res. Pharm. Sci. 2020; 7(1): 11-31.
7. Parashar AK, Patel P, Gupta A, Jain N, Kurmi B. Synthesis Characterization and in vivo Evaluation of PEGylated PPI Dendrimer for Safe and Prolonged Delivery of Insulin. Drug Del Letters. 2019; 9:
8. Arti M, Sangeetha G. In vitro in vivo evaluation of fast-dissolving tablets containing solid dispersion of oxcarbazepine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci. 2016; 8: 124-31.
9. Parashar AK, Singh G. Synthesis and characterization of ligand anchored poly propyl eneimine dendrimers for the treatment of brain glioma. Jou. of Med. P’ceutical & Allied Sci. 2021; 10-I 3: 2784-
10. Parashar AK, Kurmi B, Patel P. Preparation and characterization of ligand anchored polymeric nanoparticles for the treatment of epilepsy. Pharmaspire. 2021;13(1):1-5.
11. Parashar AK, Nema RK. A Review on novel techniques for drug delivery to the brain. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 134-141.
12. Parashar AK, Nema RK. Preparation and Characterization of Polymeric Nanoparticles for Sustained Delivery of Insulin. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 153-159.
13. Malang M, Jain N, Koshta A, Malviya S, Kharia A. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of paracetamol and chlorpheniramine maleate. Int J Pharm Sci Res. 2020; 11(3): 1232-42.
14. Gangotia P, Nehate S, Jain H, Meshram DB. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Aripiprazole. Res J Pharm Tech. 2019; 12(4): 1827-1831.
15. Parashar AK, Singh G. Synthesis and characterization of temozolomide loaded theranostic quantum dots for the treatment of brain glioma. Jou of Med P’ceutical & Allied Sci. 2021; 10-I 3: 2778-2783.
16. Parashar AK, Gupta AK, Jain NK. Synthesis and characterization of Agiopep-2 anchored PEGylated poly propyleneimine dendrimers for targeted drug delivery to multiforme. J Drug Del Therap. 2019; 8(6-A): 74-79.
17. Chadhar V, Parashar AK, Patel M, Nema RK. Development and characterization of tetanus toxoid loaded trimethylchitosan chloride nanoparticles for nasal immunization. Curr Res Pharm Sci.
2012; 2(4): 197-202.
18. Majumdar AJ, Parashar AK, Jain NK. Ultrathin multi-layered nanocapsules of aminoglycoside for topical drug delivery. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2012; 2(3): 171-176.
19. Kakde D, Parashar AK, Mahor A, Kakde R, Patil A, Tukdojimaharaj R. Polyethylene glycol (PEG) supported amino dendrimers (dendritic triblock copolymer) for delivery of methotrexate (MTX). Int J
Pharm Sci Res. 2011; 2(11): 3033-3038.
20. Kakde D, Parashar A, Chadhar V, Kakde R, Patil AT. Development of chitosan–poly (acrylic Acid) Nanoparticles for Delivery of 5-Fluorouracil. Curr Res Pharm Sci. 2011; 1(2): 92-95.
21. Rathi SG, Patel DJ, Shah SK, Joshi BY. Formulation and evaluation of lansoprazole and domperidone mouth dissolving tablets. Int J Pharm Sci & Res. 2020; 11(12): 6402-6412.
22. Mane S, Bathe R, Awatade S. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Disintegrating Tablets of Atenolol Using Natural and Synthetic Superdisintegrants. JDDT. 2019; 9(2):150-8.
23. Dasari N, Maruvajala V. Preparation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablets of pitavastatin by 32 full factorial design. Int J of Applied Pharmaceutics. 2019; 12(1): 108-114.
24. Shukla K, Sharma V. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Prochlorperazine Dimaleate. J of Drug Delivery and Therapeutics. 2019; 9: 457-461.
25. Sugave RV, Nagoba SN, Sanjay S, Thonte V, Swamy SM, Bhosale PH. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving tablet of Amlodipine Besylate. Int J of Bio-Pharma Res. 2019; 8(7): 2717-2721.
26. Chopra V, Nagar M, Singhai SK, Mandage K. Formulation, Evaluation and Comparision of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Nimesulide by using Crospovidone as Superdisintegrant. Int J Pharm Sci Drug
Res. 2009; 1(3): 172-175.
27. Suresh Kumar JN, Raghavendra KG. Design, Formulation and Evaluation of Pravastatin Fast Dissolving Tablets. Pharm Methods. 2018; 9(1): 16-23.
28. Hardenia S, Darwhekar GN, Singh RP. Optimization of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Promethazine Theoclate with Effervescent Technology Using 32 Full Factorial Design. Int J Pharmaceut Sci Res.
2016; 7(12): 5115-5124.
29. Indrayani DR, Pallavi M, Dipak M, Mohite SK, Magdum CS. Design and Characterization of Fast Dissolving Tablets of Valsartan Using Synthetic and Natural Superdisintegrants. Int J Adv Res. 2015;
30. Darade SC, Patil PB, Kalkotwar RS. Formulation and Evaluation of Orodispersible Tablet Containing Piroxicam by Sublimation Method. Ind J Pharm Pharmacol. 2017; 4(2): 77-82.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.