Pharmacological Investigations of Cyperus rotundus Tuber Extract in Monosodium Glutamate Induced Experimental Animal
Nowadays obesity is the major health problem due to food habit and life style of people. Nature and natural compounds possess lots of health benefits. To explore the therapeutic benefit of Cyperus rotundus in this work, we have evaluated the anti-obesity potential on Monosodium glutamate (MSG) induced obese rats. Methanolic extract of tubers of Cyperus rotundus was administered at the dose of 250 and 500 mg/kg/oral after 45 d of treatment and a significant improvement in body weight, organs and lipid profile was observed as compared with MSG induced obese rats. Nowadays obesity is a common metabolic disorder in developed and developing countries. It was observed that Cyperus rotundus tuber possesses anti-obesity potential and protective action on heart and liver.
2. Kumar M, Rani M, Meher B. Review on Pharmacology and Phytochemistry of Cyperus rotundus L. Current Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences 2017; 07 (01): 11-15.
3. Singh A, Singh N. Ethno-Phamaco-therapeutic Activities of Cyperus rotundus. IJMAS. 2016; 3(2):186-194.
4. Meher B, Roy A. Biological Role of Leptin in Management of Obesity. Current Research in Pharmaceutical Sciences 2016; 06 (01): 01-05.
5. Diemen VV, Trindade EN, Roberto M, Trindade M. Experimental model to induce obesity in rats. Acta Cirúrgica Brasileira. 2006; 21 (6): 425.
6. Bautista RJH, Mahmoud AM, Norma E MK. Guerrero LD. Biomedicine and Pharmacotherapy.2019; 111: 503-516.
7. Bunyan J, Murrell EA, shah PP. The induction of obesity in rodents by means of monosodium glutamate. BR J NUTR. 1976; 35(1):25-39.
8. Gobatto CA, Mello MA, Souza CT, Ribeiro IA. The monosodium glutamate (MSG) obese rat as a model for the study of exercise in obesity. Res Commun Mol Pathol Pharmacol. 2002; 111(1-4):89-101.
9. Yun JW. Possible anti-obesity therapeutics from Nature-a review. Phytochem 2010; 71:1625-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.