Preparation and Evaluation of Mouth Dissolving Tablets of Flurbiprofen
The aim of investigation is to develop the effective delivery system for pain management of rheumatic disorders. The mouth dissolving tablets (MDTs) containing flurbiprofen was developed in order to accomplish enhanced solubility leading to better bioavailability profile. Different ratios, of flurbiprofen and Poly ethylene glycol 6000 i.e. 1:1, 1:2, 1:3, 1:4 and 1:5 were selected for the formulation of mouth dissolving tablets system and prepared by direct compression technique.
The prepared batches of mouth dissolving tablets were characterized for thickness, hardness, weight variation, wetting time, disintegration time and drug content. The evaluation data for all batches was satisfactory out of them formulation C3 containing 6% MCC PH- 102 (Avicel) showed the best results with a value of 27.3 sec and 37.1 sec for wetting and disintegration, respectively.
2. Ofman JJ, Badamgaray E, Henning JM. Utilization of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and antisecretory agents: a managed care claims analysis. Am. J Med. 2004; 116:835–42.
3. Caughey GE , Cleland LG, Penglis PS, Gamble JR, James MJ. Roles of cyclooxygenase (COX)-1 and COX-2 in prostanoid production by human endothelial cells: selective up-regulation of prostacyclin synthesis by COX-2.Journal of Immunology. 2001; 167(5):2831-8.
4. Brogden RN, Heel RC, Speight TM, Avery GS. Flurbiprofen: a review of its pharmacological properties and therapeutic use in rheumatic diseases. Drugs 1979; 18(6):417-438.
5. Sethia S, Squillante E. Physicochemical characterization of solid dispersions of carbamazepine formulated by supercritical carbon dioxide and conventional solvent evaporation method. Journal of Pharmaceutical Science. 2002; 91(9):1948-57.
6. Ralph GC, Amold CO, Adolph ES, Andrew ST. Flurbiprofen- a New Anti-Inflammatory Analgesic: Synthesis and Structure-Activity Relationships of Analogs. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sc. 1977.