Transferosome: A Suitable Delivery System for Percutaneous Administration
In pharmaceutical research, the percutaneous route of drug has gained a great interest. Percutaneous delivery has enhanced a noval vesicular drug carrier system called transferosome introduced in 1990, which is composed of water, surfactant and phospholipid. The elasticity of vesicular transferosome is more than the standard liposome therefore well suited for the penetration into the skin. The transferosomes can be prepared by Reverse Phase Evaporation method, Modified Hand Shaking, Lipid Film Hydration Technique and Thin Film Hydration Technique. This article is focused on various drug lists which easily accommodate in transferosome. Transferosome application areas included Delivery of Insulin, Carrier for Interferons and Interlukin, Transdermal Immunization, and Carrier for Other Proteins and Peptides, Peripheral Drug Targeting, Transdermal Immunization, Delivery of NSAID, and Delivery of steroidal hormones etc. To overcome problems of systemic toxicity associated with targeting therpy, enhance treatment resolution of targeting therapies.
2. Zhang JP, Wei HY, Zhou Y, Li QY, and Wu AX. Ethosomes, Binary Ethosomes and Transfersomes of Terbinafine Hydrochloride: A Comparative Study. Archives Pharmcal Research 2012; 35: 109-117.
3. Prajapati TS, Patel CG and Patel NC. Transferosomes: A Vesicular Carrier System for Transdermal Drug Delivery. Asia n Journal of Biochemical and Pharmaceutical Research 2011; 1: 508-509.
4. Rai S, Panday V and Rai G.Transfersomes as versatile and flexible nano-vesicular carriers in skin cancer therapy: the state of the art. Nano Reviews & Experiments 2017; 8: 95-102.
5. Sharma KP, Bansal S, and Banik A. Non-invasive Routes of Proteins and Peptides Drug Delivery International journal of pharmaceutical science 2011; 3: 367-370.
6. Malakar J, Sen S, Nayak KA, and Sen KK. Formulation, optimization and evaluation of transferosomal gel for transdermal insulin delivery. Saudi pharmaceutical journal 2012; 20: 355-360.
7. Pawar YA, Khanderao RJ and Chaudhari LH Transfersome: A Novel Technique Which Improves Transdermal Permeability. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutics 2016; 10: 425-436.
8. Patel BJ and Patel JL. Design and development of transferosome of fluconazole for topical drug delivery system. An international journal of pharmaceutical sciences 2014; 5: 298-299.
9. Abdallah HM. Transfersomes as a transdermal drug delivery system for enhancement the antifungal activity of nystatin. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences 2013; 5: 560-567.
10. Tejashree GA, Kulkarni AS, Majumdar SH and Chavare SD. Ethosome: A Promising Approach for Antifungal Drug Delivery. Research journal of topical and cosmetic sciences 2015; 6: 32-35.
11. Ceve G and Blume G. Biological activity and characteristics of trimcinolone-actonide formulated with the self-regulating drug carriers, Transferosome. Biochemica biophysica acta 2003; 1614: 156-160.
12. Duangjit S, Opanasopit P, Rojanarata T and Ngawhirunpat T. Evaluation of Meloxicam-Loaded Cationic. Transfersomes as Transdermal Drug Delivery Carriers. AAPS Pharm SciTech 2013; 14: 134-140.
13. Jain S, Maheshwari RB, and Jain NK. Transfersomes-A Novel Vesicular Carrier for Enhanced Transdermal Delivery: Development, Characterization, and Performance Evaluation, Drug development and industrial pharmacy 2003; 29: 1014-1017.
14. Vinod KR, Kumar MS, Anbazhagan S, Sandhya S, Saikumar P, Rohit RT, and Banji D. Critical issues related to transfersomes - novel vesicular system. Acta Sci. Pol., Technol. Aliment 2012; 1: 68-70.
15. Sachan R, Parashar T, S, Singh V, Singh G, Tyagi S, Patel C and Gupta A. Drug carrier transfersomes: a novel tool for transdermal drug delivery system. International Journal of Research and Development in Pharmacy and Life Sciences 2013; 2: 310-315.
16. Rajan R, Jose S, Mukund Biju VP and Vasudevan TD. Transferosomes - A vesicular transdermal delivery system for enhanced drug permeation. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical Technology & Research 2011; 2:140-143
17. Arzani G, Haeri A, Daeihamed M, Kaboutaraki HB and Dadashzadeh S. Niosomal carriers enhance oral bioavailability of carvedilol: effects of bile salt-enriched vesicles and carrier surface charge.International Journal of Nanomedicine 2015; 10: 4797–4813
18. Bragagni M, Mennini N, Maestrelli F, Cirri M and Mura P. Comparative study of liposomes, transfersomes and ethosomes as carriers for improving topical delivery of celecoxib. Drug delivery 2012; 19: 355-360.
19. Walve JR, Bakliwal SR, Rane BR and Pawar SP. Transfersomes: a surrogated carrier for transdermal drug delivery system.International journal of applied biology and pharmaceutical technology.2011; 2: 204-210.
20. Pandey A, Mittal A, Chauhan N and Alam S. Role of Surfactants as Penetration Enhancer in Transdermal Drug Delivery System. Journal of Molecular Pharmaceutics & Organic Process Research 2014; 2:1-5.
21. Kumavat DS, Chaudhari SY, Borole P, Duvvuri P, Bubera N, Shenghani K Shah P and Mishra P. Transfersomes: a promising approach for transdermal drug delivery system. Asian journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research 2013; 3:1-17.
22. Bhokare B. Transfersomes: A Novel Drug Delivery System. International Journal of Research in Engineering and Applied Sciences 2017; 7: 190-194.
23. Kulkarni PR, Yadav DJ, Vaidya AK and Gandhi PP. Transferosomes: an emerging tool for transdermal drug delivery. International journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research 2011; 2: 735-741.
24. Ahad A, Al-Saleh A, Al-Mohizea MA, Al-Jenoobi IF, Mohammad R, Yassin B and Alam AM. Formulation and characterization of novel soft nanovesicles forenhanced transdermal delivery of eprosartan mesylate. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal 2017; 25: 1040–1046.
25. Benson HA. Transfersomes for transdermal drug delivery. Expert opin drug delivery.2006; 3:728-730.
26. Rajan R and Vasudevan TD. Effect of permeation enhancers on the penetration mechanism of transfersomal gel of ketoconazole. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical Technology & Research 2012; 3:112-114.
27. Vinod KR, KumarMS, Anbazhagan S, Sandhya S, Saikumar P, RohitTR, Banji D. critical issues related to transfersomes – novel vesicular Acta Sci. Pol., Technol. Aliment. 2012;11: 67-82
28. Pall C and Giri P. International Journal of Research and Analytical Reviews. Surfactants as penetration enhancer in transdermal drug delivery system 2017; 4:104-108.
29. Patel R, Singh KS, Singh S, Sheth NR and Gendle R. Development and Characterization of Curcumin Loaded Transfersome for Transdermal Delivery. Journal of pharmaceutical sciences and research.2009; 1: 75-80.
30. Gupta S, Singh PR, Lokwani P, Yadav S, and Gupta SK, Vesicular system as targeted drug delivery system: an overview. International Journal of Pharmacy &Technology.2011; 3: 987-1018.
31. Taha IE, El-Anazi HM, El-Bagory AI and Bayomi AM. Design of liposomal colloidal systems for ocular delivery of ciprofloxacin. Saudi Pharmaceutical Journal.2013; 1-9.
32. Venkatesh ND, Kalyani K, Tulasi K, Priyanka SV, Ali1 SK, and Kiran HC. Transfersomes: a novel technique for transdermal drug delivery. International Journal of Research in Pharmaceutical and Nano Sciences.2014; 3:270-275.
33. Umalkar D, Saudagar RB, Patel D and Rajesh KS. Formulation and Evaluation of Transferosomal gel of Isotretinoin for severe Acne. Research journal of topical and cosmetic sciences.2014; 5: 40-45.
34. Sharma A, Dubey A, Gupta P, Yadav R and Saraogi R. Transferosome: novel drug delivery system. International Journal of Biological & Pharmaceutical Research.2012; 3: 722-728.
35. Laxmi VM, Zafaruddin M and Kuchana V. Design and characterization of tranferosomal gel of Repaglinide. International research journal of pharmacy.2015; 6: 38-42.
36. Gupta A, Aggarwal G, Singla S and Arora R. Transfersomes: A Novel Vesicular Carrier for Enhanced Transdermal Delivery of Sertraline Development, Characterization, and Performance Evaluation. Scientia pharmaceutica. 2012; 80:1061-1080.
37. Jadupati M, Amites G and Kumar NA. Transferosome: an opportunistic carrier for transdermal drug delivery system. International research journal of pharmacy.2012; 3:34-37.
38. Rana R, Saroha K, Handa U, Kumar A and Nanda S. Transdermal Patches as a tool for permeation of drug through skin. Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Research. 2016; 8: 471-481.
39. Syeda SS and Krishna SA. Formulation and evaluation of diclofenac sodium transferosomes using different surfactants by thin film hydration method. Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2015; 7:43-53.
40. Ghanbarzadeh S and Arami S. Enhanced Transdermal Delivery of Diclofenac Sodium via Conventional Liposomes, Ethosomes, and Transfersomes. Hindawi Publishing Corporation Bio Med Research International.2013; 1-7.
41. Narasaiah V, Padmabhushanam P, Sai kishore V. Design, development and characterization of lovastatin transfersomal loaded gels for transdermal drug delivery. World journal of pharmaceutical research.2014; 3:1489-1501.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.