Formulation of Buccal Strips using PEG 400 and Honey as a Plasticizers
Buccal films show rapid dissolution along with it also used to avoid first pass metabolism of the drug entrapped in the buccal film formulation because they get absorbed through buccal mucosa .The aim of present investigation was to explore the use of honey a plasticizers, compared with PEG400 as plasticizer.
Film of Fentanyl Citrate a narcotic opoid analgesic for cancer breakthrough pain is formulated by solvent casting method using HPMC E15 as a film forming agent, Honey and PEG400 as plasticizers and Sodium Starch Glycolate as superdisintigrant. All the formulations were evaluated on the basis of Tensile strength, %Elongation, in-vitro drug release and folding endurance . Through optimization F3and F6 proved to be best formulation through which formulation with PEG400 proved better than with honey. But honey as plasticizers gives satisfactory result and can be used further for formulating film with natural plasticizer.
2. Arun JL, Rani S, Manoj P. Buccal drug delivery system:History and recent development. Asian Journal of Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research. 2016; 9 (6) : 36-42.
3. Somwanshi SB, Dohas RT, Wagh VD, Kotade KB. Pharmaceutically used Plasticizers :A Reveiew. European Journal of Biomedical and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2016; 3(2): 277-285.
4. Karki S., Hyeongmin K. et.al, 2016, “Thin film as emerging platform for drug delivery, Asian journal of pharmaceutical Sciences.
5. Ali MS, Vijendra C, Sudheer D, Krishnaveni J. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving Oral Films of Dizepam. Journal of Pharmacovigilance. 2016; 4 (3):1-5
6. Pathan A, Gupta M, Jain N, Dubey A, Agrawal A. Formulation and Evaluation of Fast Dissolving oral film of Promethazine hydrochloride using different Surfactant. Journal of Innovation in Pharmaceuticals and Biological Sciences. 2016; 3(1): 74-84.