A Review on Promising Novel Drug delivery System- Bioadhesive Drug Delivery System
Bioadhesive drug delivery system has gained sufficient attention of researchers not only due to their enormous advantages but also feasibility of formulation and patient compliance.In this review an effort was made to describe aspects of bioadhesive films, their preparation methods,polymer used in the formulation of this type of drug delivery system, different mechanism of how plasticizer work in drug delivery films and different evaluation parameters of this type of formulation so that this can be further studied and formulated with wide spectrum drug by checking suitability of the formulation with the active pharmaceutical ingredient.
2. Usrete N, Mishra A, Pathak A. Formulation and Characterization of Gastroretentive mucoadhesive microsphere.WJPPS.2015;4(10): 1465-1478.
3. Patel RS, and Poddar SS. Development and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal patches of salbutamol sulphate. Curr Drug Deliv. 2009; 6: 140-144.
4. Semalty A, Bhojwani M, Bhatt GK, Gupta GD, Shrivastav AK. Design and evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of Diltiazemhydrochloride. Indian J Pharm Sci. 2005;67:548-52.
5. Mishra A, Ramteke S. Formulation and Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Buccal Film of Flurbiprofen .Int J PharmTech Res.2011;3(3):1825-1830.
6. Lu Z, Chen W, Hamman J. Chitosan-polycarbophil complexes in swellable matrix systems for controlled drug release. Curr Drug Deliv. 2007;4:257-63.
7. Verma S, Kaul M, Rawat A, Saini S. An overview on buccal drugdelivery system. Ind J Pharm Sci Res. 2011;2:1303-21.
8. Boddupalli BM, Mohammad ZNK, Nath RA, Banji D. Mucoadhesive drug delivery system an overview. J Adv Pharm Tech Res.2010;1:381-7.
9. Shinde P, Salunkhe V ,Magdum C. Buccal film:An Innovative Dosage form designed to improve patient compliance, I J Phar Che Sci. 2012; 4(1):1606-1622 .
10. Venkatalakshmi R, Yajaman S, Madhuchudana Chetty C, Sasikala C, Varma M. Buccal Drug Delivery Using Adhesive polymeric Patches. Inter J Pharm Sci Res. 2012; 3(1): 35-41.
11. Zhang.J et al, An In Vivo Dog Model for Studying Recovery Kinetics of the Buccal Mucosa Permeation Barrier after Exposure to Permeation Enhancers Apparent Evidence of Effective Enhancement without Tissue Damage. Int J Pharm.1994; 101: 15–22.
12. Satyabrata B, Ellaiah P, Choudhury R, Murthy KVR, Bibhutibhusan P , Kumar MS. Design and evaluation of Methotrexate buccal mucoadhesive patches. Inter J Pharm. Biomed Sci , 2010; 1(2), 31-36.
13. Patel KV, Patel ND, Dodiya HD, Shelat PK. Buccal Bioadhesive Drug Delivery System: An Overview.Inter J Pharma Bio Arch. 2011; 2(2): 600-609.
14. Venkatalakshmi R, Yajaman S, Madhuchudana C C, Sasikala C, Varma M. Buccal Drug Delivery Using Adhesive polymeric Patches.Inter J of Pharm Sci Res.2012; 3(1): 35-41.
15. Gandhi Pankil A , Patel KR, Patel MR, Patel NM. A Review Article on Muccoadhesive Buccal Drug Delivery System.Inter J of Pharm Res Development.2011; 3(5): 159-173.
16. Prajapati V, Bansal M, Sharma PK. Mucoadhesive Buccal Patches and Use of Natural Polymer in Its Preparation – A Review. Inter J of PharmTech Res.2012; 4(2):582-589.
17. Puratchikody A, Prasanth VV, Mathew ST, Kumar BA Buccal Drug Delivery: Past, Present and Future – A Review. Inter J of Drug Delivery.2011; 3:171-184.
18. Gupta SK, Singhavi IJ, Shirsat M, Karwani G, Agrawal A, Agrawal A. Buccal adhesive drug delivery system: A review, Asian J Biochemical and pharmaceutical research.2011; 2:105-114.
19. Thuslasiramaraju TV, Tejeswar Kumar B, Kartik Kumar A, Naresh T. Bucco-Adhesive Drug Delivery System: A Novel Drug Delivery Technique. 2013; 1(1):28-46.
20. R Dixit, S Puthli. Oral strip technology: overview and future potential. J of Controlled Release.2009; 139(2): 94-107.
21. Kulkarni AS, Deokule HA, Mane MS, Ghadge DM. Exploration of different polymers for use in the formulation of oral fast dissolving strips.J current Pharm Research. 2010; 2(1): 33-35.
22. Senichev VY , Tereshatov VV. Influence of plasticizers on the glass transition temperature of polymers, In: Handbook of Plasticizers, G. Wypych (Ed.) 2004. 218–227.
23. McIndoe LME, Rowe RC, Sheskey PJ, Owen SC. In Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients. Pharmaceutical press, London (2006) 128 ‐ 130.
24. Harper CA. Modern Plastics Handbook, Published by McGraw-Hill( 2000) 88.
25. Krauskopf LG, Godwin A. Plasticizers. In. Charles E. Wilkes, Charles A. Daniels, James W. Summers,PVC Handbook, Published by Hanser(2005) 173-193.
26. Wypych G. Effect of Plasticizers on Other Components of Formulation, Handbook of Plasticizers.2nd Ed. Published by ChemTech (2012) 187-194.
27. Karbowiak T, Hervet H, Léger L, Champion D, Debeaufort F, Voilley A. Effect of plasticizers (water and glycerol) on the diffusion of a small molecule in iota-carrageenan biopolymer films for edible coating application. Biomacromolecules. 2006; 7(6): 2011-9.
28. Suyatma NE, Tighzert L, Copinet A, Coma V. Effects of hydrophilic plasticizers on mechanical, thermal, and surface properties of chitosan films. J Agric Food Chem, 2005; 53(10): 3950-7.
29. Snejdrova E, Dittrich M. Pharmaceutical used plasticizers, Rec Adv Plas. 2012; 45-68.
30. Wale A, Weller PJ. In Handbook of Pharmaceutical Excipients, 2nd edition. American Pharmaceutical Association and The Pharmaceutical Press, Washington and London (1994). 24-448.
31. Prakash GE, Du Bois, JF Clos, KL Wilkens, LE Fosdick. Development of Rebiana , A natural non caloric sweetner.Food Chem. Toxicol. 2008; 46: 75 ‐ 82.
32. Chapdelaine AH, Zyck DJ, Dzija MR. US Patent 6740332, 2004.
33. Barnhart SD, Sloboda MS. - Dissolvable films the future of dissolvable films. Drug Dev tech. 2007;1 :34-35.
34. Morales Javier O, McConville Jason T. Manufacture and characterization of mucoadhesive buccal films. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2011; 77: 187–199.
35. Boatenga J S,et al. Characterisation of freeze dried wafers and solvent evaporated films as potential drug delivery systems to mucosal surfaces. Int J Pharm. 2010; 389: 24– 31.
36. Francesco C, Cupone IE, Paola M, Francesca S, Montanari L. Fast dissolving films made of Maltodextrins, Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;70 :895–900.
37. Zhang J et al. An In Vivo Dog Model for Studying Recovery Kinetics of the Buccal Mucosa Permeation Barrier after Exposure to Permeation Enhancers Apparent Evidence of Effective Enhancement without Tissue Damage. Int J Pharm. 1994;101: 15–22.
38. Goudanavar PS et al. Formulation and In-vitro evaluation of mucoadhesive buccal films of Glibenclamide, Der pharmacialettre. 2010; 2 (1): 382-387.
39. Choudhary A et al. Formulation and characterization of carvedilol buccal mucoadhesive patches.ijrps. 2010; 1(4): 396-401.
40. Kamel AH et al. Micromatricial metronidazole benzoate film as a local mucoadhesive delivery system for treatment of periodontal diseases. AAPS Pharmscitech. 2007; 8 (3): 75.
41. Giradkar KP et al. Design development and in vitro evaluation of bioadhesive dosage form for buccal route. Int J Pha Res Dev. 2010; 2.
42. Leung SS , J R Robinson. Polymer Structure Features Contributing to mucoadhesion II, J Contr Rel. 1990; 12:187–194.
43. Gandhi RE , Robinson JR. Bioadhesion in Drug Delivery, Indian J Pharm Sci. 1988; 50 : 145–152.
44. Sanzgiri YD et al. Evaluation of Mucoadhesive Properties of Hyaluronic Acid Benzyl Esters. Int J Pharm. 1994; 107: 91–97.
45. Park K. Robinson JR. Bioadhesive Polymers as Platforms for Oral Controlled Drug Delivery, Method to Study Bioadhesion. Int J Pharm. 1984; 19:107–127 .
46. Zhang J et al. An In Vivo Dog Model for Studying Recovery Kinetics of the Buccal Mucosa Permeation Barrier after Exposure to Permeation Enhancers Apparent Evidence of Effective Enhancement without Tissue Damage. Int J Pharm. 1994; 101:15-22.
47. Zhang J, Niu S, Ebert C, Stanley T H. An in vivo dog model for studying recovery kinetics of the buccal mucosa permeation barrier after exposure to permeation enhancers: apparent evidence of effective enhancement without tissue damage. Int J Pharm. 1994;101(2):15–22.
48. Koyi PK , Khan AB. Buccal Patches: A Review. IJPSR.2015; 90:24.